Often times I find that we make these new years resolutions and we never actually revisit them after January. I wanted to look at what I wrote down as my New Years resolution for 2018 and see if I was able to stick with some of what I wrote down. This is not only a means of holding myself accountable but also a means of encouraging myself to stick on the path that I am on and work harder at things that I wrote down. So without further ado, lets get into it!
- No more self silencing – This was something that was directed towards one person in my life who use to make me feel really bad about expressing myself. He was constantly criticizing me and making it seem as though everything that came out of my mouth was WRONG or STUPID (which was really funny because he literally was a person that had not one pot to piss in). This is what caused me to self silence as a means to not offend this person. I never had this issue with anyone else. Long story short, it was HIM not ME, and my life has been way better ever since we have broken ties. So I do not self silence and I guess I technically never really did.
- No More Comparing – Sadly, this again ties into #1. This person made me feel so crappy about myself that I was CONSTANTLY comparing myself to other women. I got rid of his negativity and began comparing myself WAY LESS.
- Self Preservation – I think that this year I have done a better job of self preservation but I definitely can do better. One great thing that happened to me in the last quarter of the year was that I began drinking way less and started being a little bit more conscience and aware of what I was putting in my body. I also tried to be aware of what I was watching and listening to, because as you may or may not know, all of that can really have an affect on your everyday life. I also began going to church on a weekly basis and utilized the word as a means of mental renewal.
- Using Social Media Less – I think that I had spurts of when I was using it less, but definitely not where I want to be. If you know anything, then you should know that social media is a tool that can really kill ones spirit.
- No complaining, Positive Outlooks Only – I have gotten way better at this! I try to be more aware of what I am saying and how I am thinking in general. This has allowed me to be less depressed and really push through the hard times.
- Be more prepared – Last year I wrote this because school was a real struggle for me and I felt as though I was lacking, but in reality I am not this ill prepared person.
- Work Harder – This is something that everyone can try to better at year over year. Work harder than your hardest! I did do that this past year, and I plan on doing it again in 2019!
I remember when I turned 25, I was so sad. I cried and cried thinking that I was getting so old, I was unmarried and I was super miserable in the relationship I was in.
Each year that passed after that, the feeling somewhat stayed the same. A feeling of “oh Gosh, I’m getting older, what do I do now”.
But as my 30th drew near, something clicked in me and the usual feeling of sadness did not come. Rather, As my birthday approached I was filled with excitement and appreciation to see this age. The last few months I have been on an appreciation kick. Appreciating every last thing I could think of from big things such as being in an MBA program, to small things like being able to move all my toes and fingers. This appreciation didn’t allow me to feel any sense of sadness or anxiety of being 30, rather I was filled with joy that God allowed me to be on this earth this long.
I must say, I love the thought of being in my 30s and leaving all the junk and baggage of my 20s behind. I am now older, calmer, smarter, stronger….better. And that my friends is something worth being happy for!
I was recently asked by someone to download a stock trading app so that person could get free stock sent to them. Sure, why not? If all I’m doing is downloading an app there is no harm in that.
Little did I know that one app was about to open me up to a whole new world. I am currently now obsessed with trading stocks and I’ve spent the last 48 hours researching companies, reading reports and buying stock. This is my new thing now and I have promised myself to purchase at least $50 worth of stock each pay check.
I get that $50 doesn’t seem like a lot but man will it be worth it in the long run! What is great is that because I’ve learned about a few things in business school I am able to make more informed decisions. Don’t get me wrong, I am not about to be an analyst or trader but I do understand the jargon in reports enough for me to make somewhat decent decisions.
I am so glad I found this app! For many years I had been saying that I wanted to trade stocks outside of the company stocks that I owned.
As I’ve become extremely strategic and serious about building my wealth, this app has come at a perfect time for me! My goal is to own 100 shares of different stocks by the end of the year (hey ya gotta start small). I encourage all young women to begin doing this! It’s a really great way to build for your future and it is somewhat fun too! And with all of the different apps made available it is really easy and simple to do! The app that I am currently using is called Robinhood and so far it has been a really great app that I suggest others to look into.
I am so excited that I’ve finally done this and I can’t wait to see what my stocks do!
I have said it many times, business school is not EASY. It is not a decision that you can make over night and just decide that you want to get an MBA. You have to be dedicated to it and decide that you are going to do it no matter what. Before you apply there are a few things that you should know beforehand:
- Rankings Matter – you should try to go to a school that is within the top 50, and has a strong alumni base. You will realize that when you are seeking out internships and job offers that who you know will help you A LOT. Also, schools within the top 50 usually have strong connections with specific companies that hire from your school every year.
- You will be Rejected – It is just the way of the game! There is no way that you will be able to get everything the exact way that you want it. When I first entered into school I had a vision for myself and what my first year would look like. I thought I would obtain my internship at the first conference of the year and I would be on the first year board of many clubs….WRONG. I was appointed to no positions, and I didn’t get my internship until Christmas Break (this is still very early). I also made it to the final round of FACEBOOK and wasn’t selected as the intern. In addition to that the coursework was super hard and my interviewing prepare wasn’t going so well. I was disappointed and felt as though I was a failure and that this was all a sign that I should just quit.
- You have to bounce back quick – As much as you get rejected, you will have to learn how to bounce back and overcome. You really don’t have time to dwell on rejection and since things move so fast you have to just Keep It Moving (KIM). Not letting rejection to hold you down is the only thing that you can do. And just as quickly as I was getting rejected from FACEBOOK, I had to interview with another company a few days later. I couldn’t allow my disappointment to hold me back and I had to keep what happened in the past and go out an get it (which I did!). I also had to overcome the rejection from the first year and eventually get selected to be on the leadership boards for my second year! (all of which hold more weight than first year boards anyways).
- You will lose friends – Look Ima keep it real with you chief, not everyone will understand the wave that you are on. Not everyone will understand how IMPORTANT this is, and they will begin to feel some kind of way about you hanging out with new people and not having time to do the things that you use to do. This happened to me. From certain people feeling left behind, or that I wasn’t giving them the same amount of time as I was my business school friends (which you will learn, you are always with due to school being such a big part of your life), I had to let it go and keep it moving. The main reason being that I didn’t have the mental capacity to attempt to fix relationships with people who didn’t understand why I was in school. If they couldn’t understand why I had hit ghost and the fact that I was trying to change my life, then they couldn’t be in my circle any longer.
- This will be your whole life – Yes, I said it. Business school will consume you. Your whole world will be school. You will have fun too, don’t get me wrong, but you will always be thinking about school. On your off days you will be in school studying, working on papers and projects. You will be applying to internships, reaching out to alumni or doing career prep. You will be attending events, and helping to throw events. School will be apart of you, and you will become apart of school, so get mentally prepared to always being busy, and always have something being due.
With all that being said business school is soooooo worth it. Just the amount that I am getting paid during the summer is a great reminder of why I came back to school and what Im trying to accomplish in my life. If you feel as though you can dedicate two years to increase you earning potential for the rest of your life, then Business School is def for you!
I had to take some time to really think about what my New Years resolution would be. Initially when I decided to write this post I was rushing to write down things and I found that my resolutions were somewhat cliche and unauthentic. So it took me 15 days into January to really figure out what I wanted to work on this year and how I want to improve in life. So here it is:
- No more self silencing – A lot of times I have self silenced myself in fear of what others may think or fear of hurting another persons feelings. This has caused a lot of issues in my life because I find myself doing things that I don’t necessarily want to do. Then I beat myself up for not speaking up.
- No More Comparing – This is something that I didn’t even realize that I did until I forced myself to sit back and take time to think about my flaws. I don’t think that most women would admit it (but I’m going to be real here), but I realized that this is something that I did so much that I didn’t even realize I was doing it.
- Self Preservation– I realized that this HAD to be on my list. I need to practice self preservation of my mind, body and soul. I want to do more to preserve my physical by eating healthier, drinking more water, and working out. I also want to make sure to do things like getting facials and focusing more on my hair health. I want to go to church more to feed my mind and soul. And take the time to sit, pray, be quiet, and meditate to feed my mental!
- Using Social Media Less – This ties in to my #2. I believe that with me going on social media and clicking on others pages and thinking negative comments about others, or thinking negative comments about myself, I am in turn doing more damage to myself than I realize. By forcing myself to use social media less, stay away from certain peoples pages (lets admit, we all go on peoples pages that we don’t follow and or even like), and spending more time and energy to improving myself will allow me to really improve in 2018.
- No complaining, Positive Outlooks Only – This is the key to living a better happy life, in my opinion. It will improve my daily mood, my daily outlook, and my overall success in life.
- Be more prepared – Being that I am in school, I need to get way better at being more prepared. I need to stop waiting until the last minute to study, to do assignments.
- Work Harder – I work hard but there is always room to work harder and nap less.
I think this is literally the first time in my life I have been at PEACE. I am a person who deals with a lot of anxiety and some times I make myself cray thinking about the things that I can not change and control. This year I decided that all of that was going to stop and that I would no longer live my life as such. I started off my year being the same old me with all of my anxiety and so on but one day I got down on my knees and decided to pray. The prayer that I prayed was for God to help me with my anxiety, and allow me to be more grateful for the things that I have and STOP harboring over the things that I don’t have. I also asked God to help me be more positive in all situations and always find the good in anything that is thrown my way. I also promised to stop looking at what other people were doing in their lives and just focus on myself.
My goal in 2018 is to put 110% energy, mental and physical, into myself. Ever since I have prayed this prayer and really been trying to be more positive, my whole attitude has been totally different. I have never felt better before. I am so at peace with myself and my life than I have ever been in my life. It has only been about a week since I prayed this prayer, but when I tell you that since that week I have been thrown some curve balls (including me getting robbed in Trinidad)…I have been thrown some massive curve balls that were meant to take me down. BUT someway, somehow I haven’t felt anxiety or depression rather just Peace and Joy!!!
I say this to say, that being at Peace isn’t something that you can’t have too. You need to strive for it and really work on it. You need to identify and eliminate the things that is causing you not to have peace in your life. A habit, a person or a place that you’re in, whatever it is, nip it in the bud immediately. And last but not least, pray with an honest and open heart for peace and stillness.