I remember when I turned 25, I was so sad. I cried and cried thinking that I was getting so old, I was unmarried and I was super miserable in the relationship I was in.
Each year that passed after that, the feeling somewhat stayed the same. A feeling of “oh Gosh, I’m getting older, what do I do now”.
But as my 30th drew near, something clicked in me and the usual feeling of sadness did not come. Rather, As my birthday approached I was filled with excitement and appreciation to see this age. The last few months I have been on an appreciation kick. Appreciating every last thing I could think of from big things such as being in an MBA program, to small things like being able to move all my toes and fingers. This appreciation didn’t allow me to feel any sense of sadness or anxiety of being 30, rather I was filled with joy that God allowed me to be on this earth this long.
I must say, I love the thought of being in my 30s and leaving all the junk and baggage of my 20s behind. I am now older, calmer, smarter, stronger….better. And that my friends is something worth being happy for!
I am a helper. If you are in my life and I rock with you, I’m going to do all I can to help you. I believe helping others is especially important for those in the black community because if we don’t do it, who will?
But what happens when you continue to help someone and they continue to mess up the opportunities that you have opened for them? This is a place in which I am right now.
I struggle letting people go and just faltering, especially when I know what they can do to turn things around. But when I overextend myself only to have them mess up again it can be an extremely disappointing, frustrating, and distressing to me.
You know that old saying, “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink”,that’s the exact sentiment that I feel. For this person I have literally given a massive amount to fully transform their life and yet they still found a way to completely mess it up. What do I do now as this person opens up to me about their troubles? Let them fall extremely hard this time or do what I’ve been doing the last few years and help…AGAIN?
In a way to ensure that I don’t put myself in a bad space I have decided to try to help this person one last time and take a massively different approach. Take on a less hands on and more of a coaching approach. I am not here to physically do things for this person anymore, I am here to guide them and offer advice when they ask. I am here to give them literature and passages that will help them head in the right direction. It is now up to them to choose to stay on the path of always ruining things, or finally deciding to be responsible. I can no longer utilize my contacts and my personal resources to help. All I can do now is watch and pray for them and offer kind words to keep them encouraged. Although my first instinct was to do what I always do and overextend myself to help, this time I will just sit back and allow them to figure things out for themself. Hopefully this new strategy works.
-With Love Kim-
I was recently asked by someone to download a stock trading app so that person could get free stock sent to them. Sure, why not? If all I’m doing is downloading an app there is no harm in that.
Little did I know that one app was about to open me up to a whole new world. I am currently now obsessed with trading stocks and I’ve spent the last 48 hours researching companies, reading reports and buying stock. This is my new thing now and I have promised myself to purchase at least $50 worth of stock each pay check.
I get that $50 doesn’t seem like a lot but man will it be worth it in the long run! What is great is that because I’ve learned about a few things in business school I am able to make more informed decisions. Don’t get me wrong, I am not about to be an analyst or trader but I do understand the jargon in reports enough for me to make somewhat decent decisions.
I am so glad I found this app! For many years I had been saying that I wanted to trade stocks outside of the company stocks that I owned.
As I’ve become extremely strategic and serious about building my wealth, this app has come at a perfect time for me! My goal is to own 100 shares of different stocks by the end of the year (hey ya gotta start small). I encourage all young women to begin doing this! It’s a really great way to build for your future and it is somewhat fun too! And with all of the different apps made available it is really easy and simple to do! The app that I am currently using is called Robinhood and so far it has been a really great app that I suggest others to look into.
I am so excited that I’ve finally done this and I can’t wait to see what my stocks do!
I have said it many times, business school is not EASY. It is not a decision that you can make over night and just decide that you want to get an MBA. You have to be dedicated to it and decide that you are going to do it no matter what. Before you apply there are a few things that you should know beforehand:
- Rankings Matter – you should try to go to a school that is within the top 50, and has a strong alumni base. You will realize that when you are seeking out internships and job offers that who you know will help you A LOT. Also, schools within the top 50 usually have strong connections with specific companies that hire from your school every year.
- You will be Rejected – It is just the way of the game! There is no way that you will be able to get everything the exact way that you want it. When I first entered into school I had a vision for myself and what my first year would look like. I thought I would obtain my internship at the first conference of the year and I would be on the first year board of many clubs….WRONG. I was appointed to no positions, and I didn’t get my internship until Christmas Break (this is still very early). I also made it to the final round of FACEBOOK and wasn’t selected as the intern. In addition to that the coursework was super hard and my interviewing prepare wasn’t going so well. I was disappointed and felt as though I was a failure and that this was all a sign that I should just quit.
- You have to bounce back quick – As much as you get rejected, you will have to learn how to bounce back and overcome. You really don’t have time to dwell on rejection and since things move so fast you have to just Keep It Moving (KIM). Not letting rejection to hold you down is the only thing that you can do. And just as quickly as I was getting rejected from FACEBOOK, I had to interview with another company a few days later. I couldn’t allow my disappointment to hold me back and I had to keep what happened in the past and go out an get it (which I did!). I also had to overcome the rejection from the first year and eventually get selected to be on the leadership boards for my second year! (all of which hold more weight than first year boards anyways).
- You will lose friends – Look Ima keep it real with you chief, not everyone will understand the wave that you are on. Not everyone will understand how IMPORTANT this is, and they will begin to feel some kind of way about you hanging out with new people and not having time to do the things that you use to do. This happened to me. From certain people feeling left behind, or that I wasn’t giving them the same amount of time as I was my business school friends (which you will learn, you are always with due to school being such a big part of your life), I had to let it go and keep it moving. The main reason being that I didn’t have the mental capacity to attempt to fix relationships with people who didn’t understand why I was in school. If they couldn’t understand why I had hit ghost and the fact that I was trying to change my life, then they couldn’t be in my circle any longer.
- This will be your whole life – Yes, I said it. Business school will consume you. Your whole world will be school. You will have fun too, don’t get me wrong, but you will always be thinking about school. On your off days you will be in school studying, working on papers and projects. You will be applying to internships, reaching out to alumni or doing career prep. You will be attending events, and helping to throw events. School will be apart of you, and you will become apart of school, so get mentally prepared to always being busy, and always have something being due.
With all that being said business school is soooooo worth it. Just the amount that I am getting paid during the summer is a great reminder of why I came back to school and what Im trying to accomplish in my life. If you feel as though you can dedicate two years to increase you earning potential for the rest of your life, then Business School is def for you!
It’s so funny how God works. Between the years of 2011-2015, I wanted to move to Chicago so badly. I fell in love with the city from the first time I visited it and I wanted to be apart of it. I applied to every job I could in Chicago and I sought out transfer opportunities from my then employers. Nothing seemed to work and I got it in my head that Chicago just wasn’t where I was meant to be….
Fast forward to present day and I now have the opportunity to live in Chicago! It is only for a 3 month period during the summer, but nonetheless, this is an exciting time for me! As any MBA student or prospective student knows, obtaining a summer internship is an integral part of the MBA program. It is an opportunity to get on the job training in your desired field, a chance to get a full time offer for the next year and an opportunity to make some really good money (like ridiculously amazing)! And within the first week of my second semester I obtained an internship with my company of choice in Chicago!
I feel so blessed to be in this space and I give all glory to God. The internship search process is long and very hard, so the fact that I obtained one so early on was a real stress reliever.
Oh and an amazing little tidbit that makes this that much sweeter is that I’m the first person from my school to be hired at this major company! Being black and being the first feels so amazing! I have to set the bar high for those who come after me and hope I can make my school proud!
This just goes to show never give up on your dreams, and never give up on God because he has a plan for you, he is bigger and he is always WORKING!
I had to take some time to really think about what my New Years resolution would be. Initially when I decided to write this post I was rushing to write down things and I found that my resolutions were somewhat cliche and unauthentic. So it took me 15 days into January to really figure out what I wanted to work on this year and how I want to improve in life. So here it is:
- No more self silencing – A lot of times I have self silenced myself in fear of what others may think or fear of hurting another persons feelings. This has caused a lot of issues in my life because I find myself doing things that I don’t necessarily want to do. Then I beat myself up for not speaking up.
- No More Comparing – This is something that I didn’t even realize that I did until I forced myself to sit back and take time to think about my flaws. I don’t think that most women would admit it (but I’m going to be real here), but I realized that this is something that I did so much that I didn’t even realize I was doing it.
- Self Preservation– I realized that this HAD to be on my list. I need to practice self preservation of my mind, body and soul. I want to do more to preserve my physical by eating healthier, drinking more water, and working out. I also want to make sure to do things like getting facials and focusing more on my hair health. I want to go to church more to feed my mind and soul. And take the time to sit, pray, be quiet, and meditate to feed my mental!
- Using Social Media Less – This ties in to my #2. I believe that with me going on social media and clicking on others pages and thinking negative comments about others, or thinking negative comments about myself, I am in turn doing more damage to myself than I realize. By forcing myself to use social media less, stay away from certain peoples pages (lets admit, we all go on peoples pages that we don’t follow and or even like), and spending more time and energy to improving myself will allow me to really improve in 2018.
- No complaining, Positive Outlooks Only – This is the key to living a better happy life, in my opinion. It will improve my daily mood, my daily outlook, and my overall success in life.
- Be more prepared – Being that I am in school, I need to get way better at being more prepared. I need to stop waiting until the last minute to study, to do assignments.
- Work Harder – I work hard but there is always room to work harder and nap less.